Thursday, February 15, 2007

colorless

There is no color.

The walls are gray. Dark shadows chase across the ceiling. A wide window gives the only light. I walk forward to the window. It’s bright, and my eyes take time to adjust.

It’s silent.

There is a faint sound of whistling wind. Eddies of dust chase themselves across the road. I listen to the stillness as I look at everything but her.

If I look at her, she dies.

I’m starved for color. Seconds pass. Lifetimes pass.
Still the wind whistles, the dust blows. I’m aching for sound.

I look.

Red satin, warm amber skin and soft brown hair lying in beautiful aliveness
on the colorless ground.

A shot cracks out, blindingly white and deafeningly loud. I close my eyes, cover my ears. When I look again, she’s still and silent and colorless.

And I’ve killed her.

3 comments:

Mirko said...

It was your dream, wasn't it?

Sasha said...

is she wearing a red dress?

I actually wrote a story based a little on it after you told me, but I wrote it on a computer without a USB plugin, internet, but it does have a floppy drive. Heh, floppies...

Lukas: said...

Yeah, it's my dream. And yes, she is: I didn't make it very clear, "Red satin"...

lol, that computer sounds amazing. How old is it?